Disclaimer: We received this product for review purposes. As always, we are not required to write a positive review. All opinions are honest and my own. This post may contain affiliated links.
What is Typesy?
Typesy is an online keyboarding program, that teaches children and adults keyboarding skills like accuracy, correct fingers positions, and speed through practice lessons and games.
Typespy can be beneficial to anyone new to typing or for those that need to work on their accuracy for business-related purposes. We are using the homeschooling platform.
How We Use It?
We try to use it 2-3 times a week as a mental break exercise.
Typesy has three pricing tiers ( $67, $97 and $197) that provide access to the same information:
- 5 years unlimited access
- Parent-Teacher Admin Accounts (tracking)
- Student Accounts
- Full School Curriculum
- Over 4,000 lessons
- 3D Animated Story Based Teaching
- Fun Games
Depending on which price point you choose, the student accounts increases from 4 to 10 and up to 30 students.
Word Lists and Functionality
What I’m really interested in is how can I combine subjects, particularly spelling and vocabulary lists using this software. Right? Because if we are going to add resources into our already packed homeschool life, it has to be easy.
I love the idea of creating my own word lists, especially since I can add our own vocabulary from other curriculums, but there are way too many manual clicks to work efficiently for me. Maybe the program designers are reading this and are willing to reach out to me because this area can work wonderfully if it wasn’t so cumbersome.
- If I want to add a new word, to my exisiting list, I would have to go to the Word List Menu dropdown, click, add words, click, new popup window appears, type word (s), create (click), close window. If I”m already in my word list, why isn’t there a plus icon to add the words directly into the box?
- The same if I wanted to remove a word.
- There’s no easy way to rename the word list without multiple clicks and windows. Just give the option to edit the name right into the name box.
- There’s an option to clone the word lists but you can’t edit the clone version. Why not? I would use this feature to avoid creating new spelling template every week. Further, maybe I just want to add a few words to the new week instead of recreating a whole spelling list.
- When you clone a spelling list, you have to rename a list? Why? I just want to change one or two characters. Not type in 28 new characters.
- A list view option for my word lists would be appreciated.
- GAMES and CUSTOMIZED Word Lists: Ok, its a great idea to incorporate the customized word lists into the games for spelling and typing practice, but I didn’t realize it will also pull in words from the pre-existing wordslist. I would prefer having an option to use ONLY my words. Those are the exact words my kids need to practice on.
I don’t know, maybe I’m nit-picking but I have multiple kids, used multiple vocabulary resources, and need something that I can easily incorporate.
Right now, the way the wordlist functionality is set up, I won’t be using that portion of the program. Hopefully, they will consider making a few changes for improvements.
✔️My kids WANT to practice typing
✔️Product includes a 5-year subscription for up to 5 users at an affordable price (big-family friendly)
✔️Fun and engaging games
The kids are learning facts while typing sentences across ELA, Math, Science, and Social Studies topics that are covered in their specific grades. Does this make or break Typesy Homeschool? No, but it’s a cool feature.
Believe me, this is one of the easiest curriculums that I’ve added to our homeschooling lineup for the kids. The kids WANT to practice typing because it’s fun for them. The video lessons and games are engaging and typing is a needed skill.
Some of those games can create fun anxiety though, like the Falls Words where you have to spell the words before they hit the ground or Rising Words , again, you have to spell the words before too many words stack up before hitting the ceiling.
Just, please update the Word Lists features. Homeschool parents will appreciate it.
I recommend Typesy Homeschool. If you would like to learn more about Typesy Homeschool check out the other Melanated Gold Review Squad reviews by clicking the banner below.