Disclaimer: We received this product for review purposes. As always, we are not required to write a positive review. All opinions are honest and my own. This post may contain affiliated links.
We are not Thespians in any sort of way. Frankly, I never even considered adding theater in our homeschool, however, this box is such a wonderful way to be introduced into the Theater World.
What Is PLACES, PLEASE!?
Let’s Put on a Show Box (Ages 8+) from PLACES, PLEASE! is a theater subscription and acting curriculum for kids and families to perform together.
Included in our box:
- Four actor’s scripts
- One director’s script
- Curriculum binder which is complete step-by-step instructions guide
- Acting lessons
- Improv games.
- Costume pieces and props for inspiration
- A bit of theater history
- Four mechanical pencils: one for each actor to take notes during rehearsals
- One highlighter: for the cast to highlight lines in their scripts
- Popcorn to munch on during the show. (But we ate almost as soon as I opened the box).
There’s a lot of genuine fun to unpack here.
Performing for family and friends is entirely different from your everyday interaction with them. Through the warms ups and improv games, we are slowly growing confident to perform for others. Honestly, some of the skills here can definitely be applied to everyday life, like having a good stage voice and learning to relax, through games, to let those creative juices flow.
There’s no tech involved! Concise and thoughtful material to encourage quality family togetherness. There’s a real opportunity to encourage both your kids and yourself to try something new and outside of your comfort zone.
There were a few occasions, while the kids watched their own shows, that they pointed out “Cheating Out” or exaggerated facial expressions or behaviors to get the characters’ intentions across. Hmm…becoming critical viewers, are we? 🙂
PLACES, PLEASE! Theatre Boxes are sequential. The acting skills taught in each box builds on previous boxes, so new subscribers will always start with Box 1. This will be an awesome, non-traditional, gift to present to anyone looking for something new and creative.
There are two Subscription box sets: Littles Imaginative Play (Ages 3-8) for $39.00 Monthly or the Let’s Put On A Show (Ages 8-18) for $60 bi-monthly plus shipping.
As a subscriber, you have access to many resources, including:
- Pinterest boards for each play with resources for costuming, learning accents, background music to play for your audience, articles for parent’s to learn more about the value lesson associated with the script (ex: Raising earth-friendly kids and teaching your kids how to be a good friend.) and more.
- YouTube videos that coincide with lessons
Lets Put on a Show Box (Ages 8+) from @placespleasebox theater subscription and the acting curriculum was such a fun experience to share with my kids. It really comes in handy on those days when everyone needs to put away all the academic workloads and loosen up with some creative drama! You never know, you might catch the acting bug!
I hope this review was helpful and happy homeschooling !